Stow Safe Exchange Zone
What Is a Safe Exchange Zone
Stow Police Department has joined other communities across the nation in designating a "Safe Zone" where members of the public are free to meet face-to-face to buy and sell items traded on online marketplaces, such as Craigslist. The "Safe Zone" which is monitored by video surveillance, is two parking spots just outside of the entrance of the Stow Safety Center, 3800 Darrow Road. It is also a popular location for custody exchanges between parents. There is no appointment necessary for use of the "Safe Zone."
Sales of alcohol, drugs, and weapons are not permitted in the "Safe Zone". By designating the above location as a "Safe Zone", the Stow Police hope to reduce the incidences of crime associated with the face-to-face conclusion of online transactions. The City of Stow is not responsible for any issues relating to any transaction made in the "Safe Zone". The community is also reminded to never hesitate to contact the police if feeling unsafe or suspicious about an incident or situation.
Contact the police department with any concerns, at 330-689-5700.
Things to Know Before Using the Exchange Zone
- This location is intended for in-person exchanges, do not drop off the property.
- No weapons or illegal merchandise may be exchanged on the property.
- Stow Police officers will not check items to determine if they are stolen.
- Stow Police officers will not oversee exchanges unless requested due to safety concerns or conflict.
- Never share your personal information, especially usernames, passwords, and financial information.
What Are the Benefits of a Safe Exchange Zone
- 24/7 Video Surveillance
- Don't have a buyer or seller come to your home
- A greater sense of security
General Safety Tips
- Trust your instincts.
- Don't go alone.
- Insist to meet at a public place.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high-value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone with you.
The Safe Exchange Zone Is Under Continuous Video Surveillance
The Stow Police Department assumes no liability whatsoever for those using this zone for conducting such transactions. The City of Stow and its employees are not responsible in any way for the value, authenticity, or legitimacy of such transactions. The City of Stow will not act as an official witness to transactions, does not give legal advice, and will not settle civil disputes related to any transactions.
Safety Zones for Sellers/Buyers Throughout Summit County
Purchasing an item from someone online always has risks. Summit County has made it easier by designating "Internet Purchase Safety Zones". View the Full List of Locations (PDF).