The Water Distribution Department is a division of the Service Department, administered by the Service Director.
As a State of Ohio, EPA-licensed Public Water System, the department is responsible for the maintenance of approximately 155 miles of water lines within the City. Sites under the control of the department include two pump stations at Marsh Road and North Main Street in Munroe Falls, a water tower located at the City Center, and the maintenance garage.
Responsibilities include the flushing, exercising, and maintenance of nearly 2250 fire hydrants and 3800 valves, and 13,000 service taps.
The City of Stow currently uses a remote radio read system. This system provides actual consumption data which results in accurate billing and eliminates the need for estimated billing. The complete change-out of residential meters took place in 2003-2006.
Consumer Confidence Reports
To view the Stow Water Consumer Confidence Reports, click here.
There are four critical safeguards for a water system. These are:
The department strives to maintain adequate pressure in all areas of the system. Pressures will vary with the cycling of the pumps, but are also affected by fires, hydrant flushing, and water main breaks. A prompt and efficient response to a water main break is crucial. As the system continues to age, the water lines become vulnerable to failure. On the positive side, the newly implemented ‘water fee’ has been instrumental in the replacement of several miles of water line and the installation of nearly 50 new fire hydrants in recent years. The areas affected to date by this installation were portions of Lillian, Ritchie, Darrow, Echo, Maple, Marcella, Stow, Seasons and Arndale Road as well as portions of Bryn Mawr and Charring Cross Drives. As funds allow, the City is dedicated to continuing this program of line replacement; prioritizing by age, condition, and fire flow data.
The department maintains a daily monitoring schedule of chlorine residuals throughout the water system. Monitoring sites are recorded with, and approved by, the Ohio EPA and represent all areas of the City.
With the inception of the Stow Public Water System in November of 2001, a vigorous Backflow Prevention Program was begun. The goal of the program is to insure that any perceived hazard to the quality of the water system is isolated and the water system protected from contamination. This program requires on-site inspections of all sites where a potential hazard may exist. When any potential hazard is identified, the user/customer is directed to install a backflow prevention device. The program assures that all devices are installed, as directed, not removed or made inoperable, and are tested on an annual basis, as required by law. Comprehensive records are maintained for all sites and devices within the system. At present the system Contains in excess of 1500 approved and tested devices in commercial and residential settings.
Water Operators adhere to an EPA-directed schedule of testing. Bacteria sampling is performed on a monthly basis. Samples are required from forty (40) sites each month. The sites are recorded and approved by the EPA. Stage II sampling is performed on a quarterly basis. This is designed to monitor for the presence of disinfection by-products (total trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids 5). Four EPA directed sites are sampled every 90 days.
There is no detectable lead in the treated water that leaves the City of Akron Water Treatment Plant and is brought into the City of Stow through its two pumping stations. There is also no lead in the water delivered to your home through the distribution system. The City of Akron has had a comprehensive corrosion control program as part of its treatment process for over thirty years. The special corrosion inhibitor used, zinc orthophosphate, is continuously added to treated water. This inhibitor makes the water less corrosive and creates a coating inside the pipes. This serves as a barrier between the two and prevents conditions that can cause lead to leach into the water.
Beginning in the early 1950’s, the use of lead in water service lines was abandoned in favor of using copper pipe. The City of Stow water system, from the mid 1950’s until the late 1970’s, was under the ownership/control of the City of Akron. From the late 1970’s until late 2001, the system was under the ownership/control of Summit County. The City of Stow purchased and took control of the system in November of 2001. Throughout its existence, all available records indicate no use of lead in any service piping installed in the system. Fore more information, click here.
For a map, click here